Monday, February 26, 2007

Next of kin? I received one again from Nigeria………

I know, I am definitely not the first one to blog about this super annoying way of fooling people.
But it happened again, I received another (probably no. 1005) e-mail from Nigeria:

Compliment of the day.

I got your contact in course of my inquiry to locate relations of my
Deceasesd Client Mr Mercer Holliday,who died in a car crash on the 13th
February 2003.The reason for this is to inherit a Contracts Payment Deposits
Account of $6.5 million of which the Deceased left in a Finance Firm.

Consequently, having gone through to your profile on Internet, I want you to
please assist me to inherit the fund into your Account. This request emerged
last week when the Finance Firm contacted me for the attention of my
Deceases Client (perhaps for one reason or the other they have tried to
contact him and was unsuccessful).

However, thereupon I announced his death and protocols observed, I was
mandated (as the deceased's attorney)to provide the Next of Kin to inherit
the Deposits or they will freeze it as"Unclaimed Deposit".Unfortunately, and
unknown to the Finance Firm, the Next of Kin was among the dead in the car
crash.

But rather leaving the Deposits/Account frozen hence I seek your help to
claim the fund into your Account as you share same names with the Next of
Kin and I have the required Information to execute the transaction under
legal process.

Please contact me for further information and commencement of the
transaction,and I need your full mailing address,your direct telephone
number/Fax number,for this transaction to commence successfully.

Be informed that your compensation will be 40% of this fund,while 60% will
be my share.

Please it is only trust and honesty to ourself will make this claim to work
out accordingly,and success will be our achievement at the end of this
transaction.

Please get in touch with me by my email address :(XXXX@yahoo.com) For
the successful transaction,

Yours faithfully,
XXXXXX


What really annoys me is that the senders consider us being complete idiots.
This so called “Nigerian Scam 419 Correspondence” is going on for years and years already.It has been on TV, there are pages and pages about this on the Internet, warnings all over. And they still keep sending them. To me that is an insult to our intelligence. Ok, this an “my glass is half empty” approach and that is not me. Let me put it this way: it is a compliment to the senders intelligence.

A few years ago I called the cell phone of the sender of such an e-mail, who desperately wanted to talk to me.
I was curious whether the number indeed existed.
A man with a Nigerian accent answered: “Hello!
Me:"Ah, I am sorry, I am afraid I dialled the wrong number
He: “No, no… you dialled the right number. You need to talk to me!” (probably a clairvoyant as well….)
Me: “No, sorry for disturbing you but I need to talk to Joe N.” (an acquaintance from Ireland with a lovely bold Irish accent…..)
He: “But dear, you are now talking to Joe N!

Yes, and he was talking to a fool……

This is the less annoying part. The worst letter I ever received tried to let me believe it was composed by a Nigerian lady who’s husband died of Cancer. She found my name and e-mail address on a Cancer site and told me I would understand how hard the suffering of her husband was. Because of me being a successful Cancer survivor, she asked my cooperation to transport the millions of her husband to my account until she moved to another country, safe for the Government in Nigeria.

I am very, very seldom angry but this time I was very close to getting as angry as I have never been before.
Of course I was not the first and last Cancer survivor who received this letter, other must have received it too.
I manage, I know a sick mind wrote this disgusting letter but how many people will be touched and think they indeed can help out?

Never ever reply to these letters, they are called SCAM which is in my opinion a far too lovely word for it. I still need to invent a word that really expresses my true feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment