Friday, July 06, 2007

It is my birthday

And I don’t want to celebrate it. No, this has nothing to do with my age because I found out growing older, has a lot of advantages. E.G. when you behave silly, younger people think “Just ignore, she is old anyway”
Older people think: “Isn’t it nice to be that young?” So 50+ is a great time of your life with hardly any obligations and regulations. You are in between generations and this gives you an enormous freedom.

I don’t want to celebrate my birthday because I never liked it, not when I was way younger and not now.
I also tend to forget other people’s birthday but that is a different story.

I admire the Swedes who give a real party every 5th year and in between they have “name days”.
Maybe that is why I feel at home in Sweden.

Over the past years I managed to “hide” myself with many valid excuses but this year I don’t have any.
Well, I have but they are ignored. Being busy seems not to be a valid excuse anymore. Though it is true!! I am busy. Up to my ears in office work today, tomorrow, Sunday etc. etc. But tomorrow is planned for an early rise and food shopping. After that I need to prune my Ivy which is consuming parts of my roof.
And this can’t wait because the painters arrive Monday. So it is not just pruning but it is also cleaning the woodwork from the traces of the Ivy and I can tell you, that is a lot of work!! Yes, yes, I know. I should have kept it clean regularly but I haven’t. No time on my hands.
Sometimes you need a valid reason to start jobs like this but it also means I can’t do anything else.

Tonight brother, sis in law and I celebrate my birthday at Mum’s which is more relaxing for Mum.
And on Sunday I see other relatives and friends. I know that I am going to enjoy it because they are all great people.

And I also enjoyed all the happy birthdays via Skype from family, friends and colleagues tremendously.
They helped to bring me in the right mood! And when I can empty my brains before tonight, I might even enjoy having my birthday.

But why is that song playing around in my head all day long? You know which song I mean. Yes, exactly, that one: “It is my party and I cry if I want to” although in my case nobody is leaving. No, they are coming to celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment